Monday, October 26, 2009

Election Thoughts

Early voting starts this week. Please vote for and support Jimmy Wilbanks for Mayor at the Dacula City Hall this week and on Election Day, November 3, 2009.

Mend Fences, at What Cost?



My opponent has suggested that the City needs to mend fences with groups that don't want or have a reason to enter into a harmonious relationship with the City. Every month Gwinnett County can keep from reaching a new Service Delivery Strategy Agreement is free money--your money--in the pocket of the County. Right now, if you agree with my opponent's advice, the County will continue to take $85,000 per year from your pockets without providing any services. Now with the proposed tax millage rate proposal it will take an additional 21 % more (about $102,000 per year from you). This is not the City's doing. All the cities of Gwinnett County are in a similar position, and cities have proposed seven different methods to rectify this situation. The County has not considered even one of these proposals, but the County has filed suit against each City to try to force a continuation of this unfair practice on you and me.

I think it only fair to tell you that the City and County agree on most items, but I believe we must have a fair SDS Agreement. We also need to agree on a comprehensive land-use plan that respects Dacula's concerns about property rights and economic viability of unincorporated District 3 infrastructure that effects each and every resident in Dacula and District 3.

I say, Don't Pay for what We Don't Get.

Beautify the Town.

My opponent wants to beautify downtown. Well it's easy to say such a thing when the City already has a grant approved to do just that. True it has been delayed by the budget crunch at the state level, but final approval to go out to bids is expected in about two months. The $300,000+ grant is designed to repair sidewalks along Winder Highway, to improve the pedestrian crossing at Broad/McMillan/CSX railroad, and to provide beautification downtown.

I say, It's easy to promise something you know is going to happen soon. We worked hard to get this grant and we plan to use it for the beginning of the beautification of the historic downtown area.


Business Association.

My opponent want to start a Dacula Business Association. We currently have a Dacula Business Association which I started in 2003 to more fully involve people who have chosen to invest in the City and surrounding areas. The DBA is open to every business person (home-based, commercial or web-based) located in the Dacula area.

I appreciate people who choose to invest in our City. Involving business people in concerns which effect all of us is of greatl benefit to the City. As my opponent knows, the DBA was very effective in helping keep our library branch open. Their red "Save Dacula Library" shirts were very evident at meetings and rallies. I appreciate what the DBA continues to do for the City of Dacula.

I say, Join the Dacula Business Association. It meets at City Hall every 3rd Tuesday of the month.

I am asking for your vote during this early voting time and on election day, November 3, 2009. Even my opponent recently noted, "I think he has done a good job up until now..." I'm asking you to let me keep up the good work. Elect Jimmy Wilbanks Mayor November 3, 2009 at Dacula City Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment